why i like washing the dishes

Rinse, lather, scrub, rinse again, and repeat. 

There's just something about washing the dishes that's oddly fulfilling. (I know Bill Gates once said that he likes to wash the dishes, but I promise this is an original thought.) The little adjustments I make to optimize my washing technique for each dish - using a smaller brush for bottles with small openings and the soft side of the sponge for delicate plates - is enough to keep me immersed, but not enough to make me really use my brain. And, after a long day, washing the dishes frees my mind from all my responsibilities and stops me from overthinking.

 


*Driving -> washing the dishes


This also applies to schoolwork. I like doing repetitive tasks like grammar questions in French class, but I hate doing projects because it requires creativity. I know that I can finish my grammar questions in a certain amount of time, but I can spend an infinite amount of time on projects. Staring at a blank slide and envisioning the never-ending possibilities of the topic, font, font color, background color, themed template, title, etc... makes it feel like my head is going to explode.

So, for my core value, I choose simplicity. To me, simplicity means compartmentalizing: consciously separating school, home, and social life so that they don't bleed into each other, like how washing the dishes (part of my home life) is detached from my other responsibilities (part of my school life). 

Simplicity also means not seeking perfection. It's something that I need to work on, but Mrs. Feldkamp's advice is really helpful: when you're stuck on a writing prompt, just start writing, even if you think it's bad. It'll make any task - even a daunting project - feel a little more like washing the dishes.


i hope this made sense

Comments

Popular Posts